Wednesday, December 10, 2008

'U' is for Urban Art (abc Wednesday & 2 things challenge)

Harbor Freeway Overture (1994) mural by Kent Twitchell in Downtown Los Angeles, along the 110 Freeway. The figures are painted on a canvas. My friend TeeJ was handed my camera and asked to snap away as I was driving to a concert at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. She took some nice photos.
Left panel - Julie Gigante, violin
Middle panel - First row: Allan Vogel, oboe; Rene Mandel, violin; Margaret Moores, cello. Second row: Tachi Kiuchi, former Board Member; Lisa Sutton, violin; Roy Poper, trumpet. Third row: Rowena Hammill, cello; Richard Altenbach, violin; Roland Kato, viola. Fourth row: Laura Kuennen-Poper, viola
Right panel - Ralph Morrison, violin.

Join ABC Wednesday - Round3 here. Or click on the side bar for this week's anthology. Thank you, Mrs. Nesbitt.
Here is the link to the weekly 2 Things Challenge hosted by D.C. Confidential.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Are these pannels or paintings? Well, whatever it is, it looks fantastic on the buildings. Great capture indeed!

Anonymous said...

Quite extraordinary - have they been there since '94 ?

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the ID's. I'd always just assumed the violinist was Anne-Sophie Mutter.Isn't it great these have survived?

Jilly said...

How impressive. So startling on the buildings and amongst the palms. A great shot.

Bear Naked said...

How very unique.
Thank you for your contribution to ABC Wednesday from Denise and the ABC team.

Bear((( )))

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

I think its great advertising.

Fio said...

Interesting idea. I like it!

Thank You for following our blog.
Fio&Prado from Gliwice :)
Greetings!

Tanya Breese said...

Such a great mix! Your friend did a good job taking that as you drive! I'm always handing the camera to whichever kid is in the passenger seat "here, hurry and take a pic" lol...

Richard Lawry said...

Very interesting!

An Arkie's Musings

marley said...

Great way to incorporate both themes! We used to have a hanging canvas of autumn leaves on the side of Cheltenham General Hospital. It was very impressive, but I always thought that a hospital could have better spent the money!

Jane Hards Photography said...

These are impressive ad two themes in one too.

Kris McCracken said...

My God! There is a gigantic man holding a violin!

Have you seen it?!? ;)

Powell River Books said...

My husband and I are here in LA for a week while I do some consulting work. The air has been so clear and the warmth (compared to Canada) has been a nice change. But I long to get back. I invite you come over to my place and head upcoast with me to some pretty spectacular anchorages. -- Margy

magiceye said...

wow.. can they be called murals?

Pat said...

Oh, I like this! I love "oversized" urban art. Last night I snapped a huge billboard of (what I thought were) evil-looking girls munching potato chips...maybe I'll post it...

dianasfaria.com said...

Thanks for posting this. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I actually went into the parking structure to see how he technically accomplished this (and I learned what not to do when I used the same technique). It's shingled panels of a depth of 3 feet. Because they were layered improperly, water seeps in between the panels and creates these water pouches (mural pimples).

PJ said...

So this was a joint venture? Great job and I think that also qualifies it for last week's 2 Things Photo Chalenge. You did a two 'fer!

spacedlaw said...

That is impressive.