Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Saddleback Butte State Park, Antelope Valley

"Saddleback Butte, elevation 3,651 feet, is a granite mountaintop that towers some thousand feet above the broad alluvial bottom land of the Antelope Valley about fifteen miles east of Lancaster, on the western edge of the Mojave Desert. The state park surrounding Saddleback Butte was created in 1960 to protect the butte (one of many similar land features in the Antelope Valley) and examples of native Joshua Tree woodlands and other plants and animals that were once common throughout this high desert area." - www.parks.ca.govPhotos from Saturday afternoon at about 4:30 pm. I was the only person around (the ranger station closed at 3 pm). Definitely a deserted desert landscape.

9 comments:

Lois said...

What a gorgeous picture Tash! The sky is so beautiful and clear and the moon sitting up there makes it perfect.

Torsdag 1952 said...

Wonderful, we have been there last spring, and we saw some antelopes in the area.
Hartmut

Anonymous said...

This was the image I asked JT to post. I'm so delighted! (4 miles from Lake Los Angeles). btw: while walking in the Arroyo last night I ran into the holy trinity of LA public art administrators...gads, I can't escape these people!. The one from LA County informed me that the Sorenson Lake LA project is heating up again and it looks like it's going to go through. Oh happy day!

Lowell said...

Excellent. Glad you stayed out there even though the ranger station closed.

The first photo reminds me a lot of the area around Phoenix's Camelback Mountain about 50 years ago. It's too bad that wasn't made into a state park, as I believe it's been developed extensively.

Unknown said...

Great shot! I was out at Saddleback Butte around New Years this year and posted one of the Joshua Trees surrounding the butte at dusk. Your shot is very clean and a true representation of this beautiful park. I especially appreciate the portrait angle, the Joshua Trees, butte and crescent moon against the blue sky.

Anonymous said...

Did you go out there by yourself? All right! Nothing feels as clean as a desert. Wonderful photo to enlarge -- I don't know what those plants are, but they look like sculptures.

Pat said...

I've been there!! I love the desert. However, on that trip, I somehow got a 'ball' of cholla (jumping) cactus on my thumb and had to go to a gas station and have a fellow pull out the needles with a pair of pliers...ow.

Anonymous said...

must be a amazing place

marley said...

That is desserted! Great photos, you've captured the feeling of the place really well.