Sunday, September 13, 2009

Born to be Wild - Purpe Raphanus sativus

Wild radish plant is one of the native flowering plants. According to The Handbook of Wildflowers, Weeds, Wildlife, and Weather of the South Bay and PV Peninsula by Donald Moore Gales, "wild radish is of the mustrad family, with colors varying from all-purple to lavender to white. Some are shaded from white on the inner petal to purple outer petal. Young pods are tender and taste like a garden radish, but the root is tough and fiberous." Since I read about the plant after I found it, I did not taste the pods. Next time for sure.

8 comments:

magiceye said...

that is so interesting about the pods..

Linda said...

Pretty and useful - that's a great find.

VP said...

Nice color, it looks familiar. I think it does exist here but I have not seen it around.

Cezar and Léia said...

Delicate and beautiful!
Great shot!
Leia :)

Lois said...

What a pretty color!

Anonymous said...

How pretty. Wonder if you know how to pick wild mushrooms.

spacedlaw said...

Let us know your impression if you do try them...

Lori Lynn said...

I'll look for it now!
LL