Thursday, May 6, 2010

Afternoon at Historic Ballard Neighborhood - Seattle, WA

A model, a photographer & a side-kick, Ballard, WA
On my way to Ballard Locks, I got sidetracked by a sign leading to Historic Ballard and found many splendid late 1800's and early 1900's buildings. (I could not resist snapping a photo of this interesting group.)
Hansen Building, built ca. 1905, 5101 Ballard Ave.
The sign on the side of the building is posted by The Ballard Historical Society with the following description: "Built by Swan Hansen, the president of the Horse Shoe Mining Co., this elegant brick structure was home to the Henry Brothers Saloon. By 1908 the Pederson & Olsen Bar took up residence on the ground floor and stayed until Prohibition. during the dry years, Walter Forrester operated the Ballard Hand Laundry, which was reputedly a speakeasy. The laundry remained in business until the '50s. In 1971 the owners began restoring the building, which sparked the preservation movement on Ballard Avenue."

Yarn store, Ballard Ave.
The area has very interesting stores, many restaurants, and more bars that I've ever seen on a three block stretch.

11 comments:

Janet M Kincaid said...

Tash: Are you in Seattle now? If so, Maya is back in Seattle for the month. You should let her know. Maybe the two of you could meet up!

Great photos, by the way. I'll be in Seattle myself on May 23.

Wanda said...

My dear friend's son just move to Seattle to work for Amazon.com.

Like your pictures....maybe I'll get to visit some day.

gogouci said...

Looks like you've gotten a raindrop or two.

Petrea Burchard said...

Seattle's such a terrific city. I'm so glad you get some time there. J's family is from the Seattle area so I get to visit from time to time. Are you going to have a chance to see Kim from SDP?

Louis la Vache said...

Ballard is a great town, very interesting to visit.

Pat said...

I'm so jealous you're in Seattle without me! I love Ballard.

Rob said...

Dock St. Brokers building is wonderful, the colors and textures, etc. Fun to capture people on the street.

TheChieftess said...

Great photos Tash!!! What a fun find in your travels!!!

Linda said...

Is that model wearing lederhosen...?

I wonder which Perth the Dye Works were in? I looked up our Perth in Scotland, and found that there was a dye works there. But there was also a Perth Dye Works in Western Australia.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

In the bottom photo. That stack of drawers holding buttons. II think it's one of those library catalogue card holders. It's my hearts desire to own one of those one day (in blonde wood)

Kim said...

It is always fun to see what someone else sees when they are photowalking a familiar area. You got such wonderful shots. This is literally two minutes from my house. . . yet I've never pictured that building from that angle--you make the scene seem new to me. Bravo.