Tuesday, May 5, 2009

!Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

"Cinco de Mayo is a regional holiday in Mexico, and commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. While Cinco de Mayo has limited significance nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed in the U.S. as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride." (Ref. Wikipedia).

The RED (not ED) ONION Mexican Restaurant is a peninsula tradition, and has been in business since 1963 at the same location on Silver Spur Road. Originally opened by the restaurater Bart Earle and his wife, Joanne, it was purchased by Bart's son, Jeff in 1995. In the '60s, it hosted daily fashion shows, and mariachi bands that played until 2 AM. My in-laws always enjoyed dining there and many who grew up in the South Bay remember eating there as children.
(The info & the 70's photo are from Rolling Hills Estates: 50 Years of Country Living With Style.)


18 comments:

Lowell said...

How wonderful is that! You're so lucky. We don't have a decent Mexican restaurant within 50 miles!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Tash!
You are very creative and I always love your pictures and posts!
The last picture is outstanding!
Congratulations and enjoy this day there!
Thanks for all information!
Léia

Pat said...

I remember many a happy meal at the Red Onion. You have made me soooo hungry now for Mexican food. And that huge cactus is beautirul. Not around, or else very tiny, on the bottom photo.

Lois said...

The cactus is gorgeous! I really like family owned restaurants like this. Now I am craving some Mexican food!

Clueless in Boston said...

I like the name as it reads on the sign, Ed Onion, ora style Mexican Food. I guess it's time to trim the hedge.

Fio said...

Oh, the 70's photo is really fantastic!

Anonymous said...

that's a fun old photo. I remember the red onion on wilshire for the happy hour (and the rather WASP approach to mexican food).

Feliz Cinco de Mayo to you !

VP said...

Great (literally) cactus and nice shot of the sign, leaves and all.

crocrodyl said...

I also very like this old pic!

Cult place! Regards!

Miranda McAfee said...

mmmmmmm Mexican Food... I'm headed to get some for lunch today (along with the masses) to celebrate.
Happy Cinco!

Marie-Noyale said...

Interesting I thought that el 5 de Mayo was a big celebration in Mexico and Wikip.says it's only a regional one!!
It's good to see that some restaurants last longer than 2 to 3 years like some here!!

Virginia said...

I'll have an order of that fine cheese dip and some loaded nachos! Oh and a Corona with lime!
V

Anonymous said...

I'm noticing that that huge cactus wasn't around back in the 70's. ....so tell me, is the food good?

With Cinco de Mayo falling on a Tuesday, I'm not seeing much action up here in the highlands

Babzy.B said...

defeat of French ...never heard of this battle before ;)

Laurent said...

Very difficult to find a good Mexican restaurant in Paris too and never with such a huge cactus.

Lori Lynn said...

Great Cinco de Mayo post.
We'll be having a party there next week.
LL

Powell River Books said...

Hey - that's our car out front (just kidding). Thanks for the flash from the past. You know how many good memories the Red Onion has for me. The last time I ate there I was with both of my parents (Mom's still going strong at 93) and couldn't yet drink a Margarita (named in my honour of course). - Margy

ekoaboka said...

Hi, Tash... I´m a Brazilian and I lived in Rancho Palos Verdes when I was 12... I decided to walk down memory lane and found your blog. I went to Malaga Cove School and your bolg brought me back many fond memories... Thank you for the pictures... And thank God for the internet!