Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Artist John Divola or Treasure Hunt at PV Library Book Sale


PV library holds a monthly book sale and going there is like being at a great treasure hunt. This month I brought home only 8 more books. But my best find was this photo of John Divola's work while browsing thru a book on Security Pacific Bank art collection.

John Divola
Untitled, 1982
Dye transfer print from Zuma I suite, edition 19/30
16 x 20 in. (40.6 x 50.8 com)

From http://www.divola.com/
"Dialog with John Divola by Dinah Portner
Q. Do you think of photography as a concrete way of dealing with ideas?
A. No, it's not that they are ideas, per se. I see art as a dialogue ... I am dealing with is visual experience.
Q. So the dialogue is between you and the environment?
A. No, the dialogue is between me and whoever sees my pictures."

Gotta love this man. He also recently exhibited at the Huntington Library in San Marino in the "Body & Landscape in LA Photographs" show that Pasadena Adjacent recommended. (I got there pretty late, so I saw only a small portion of the exhibit & I think I missed seeing Divola's work.)

6 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

I love that photograph! What a great find! Our library has books on sale everyday. I love browsing and trying only to come home with one or two. They also sell old magazines, another favorite :)
Do you know about paperback swap.com?

Rob said...

The telling quote, "No, the dialogue is between me and whoever sees my pictures."

Something I think about when I'm behind my camera. First off, it's for my own personal enjoyment. Second, It's about the people viewing my photos. I become inspired to do better....not that I am, but always trying.

Anonymous said...

Thats a great score and a little sad that the library chose to put it on the chopping block. Security pacific Bank once had part of their layout in Orange County, dedicated to gallery space. Sadly, they dropped out of the Arts support system some time ago.

Virginia said...

For me it's the initial "thrill of the capture". I'd like to think I do it for myself. It is a dialogue between the viewer and me, but how much should we concern ourselves with how others view our work if it pleases us? The age old question I guess. I wish I had more self confidence in what I do and less with how others perceive it.

Anonymous said...

That is a good capture. It sounds like a great sale - I'm very impressed with your restraint at only buying 8 books!

Anonymous said...

Oh - Library Book Sales... magic.