Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Every Intersection on Hawthorne Blvd (in PV) - #1

Intersection of Hawthorne Blvd. & Ridgegate Dr., looking North (14 December 2008)

About the same time I took this photo, the talented artist of Pasadena Adjacent talked about a friend's, Kim Abeles, art piece that is reminiscent of Ruscha's work described below. While it may not qualify as art, I also wanted to do a Palos Verdes take on Ruscha - photographing intersections along Hawthorne Boulevard, the main artery in & out of Palos Verdes.

"For Edward Ruscha's Every Building on the Sunset Strip (Los Angeles, 1966), Ruscha mounted a motorized Nikon to the back of a pick-up truck and photographed every building he passed. The resulting book, with the pictures printed in order and labeled with their street numbers, achieved an effective non-judgemental and almost anthropological record of previously unexplored details and aspects of the urban experience." (Ref. Manhattan Rare Books)

10 comments:

Pat said...

Hawthorne Boulevard will forever remind me of cruisin' days in high school. I don't think we made it to the PV end, though!

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a brilliant shot dear Tash!
I hope you were not driving while took this picture!
Hugs
Léia ;)

Brenda's Arizona said...

Cool shot! The Ruscha's 'Every Building" project sounds like the long ago forerunner to Google Street view. Thanks for including the link.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

....and if anyone would like to purchase Edward Rucha's "Sunset Strip" Mr V owns a copy. (and it's in better shape).

Cafe Pasadena said...

I trust a car didn't run you over. nT. In this awards season, you've taken an early lead for the, Most Courageous Blogger Award.

If you don't win it, you at least deserve a macaroon for putting your life on hold for your readers.

Julie said...

What a stupendous idea. But very dangerous and time-consuming.

You know that book you link to is for sale at a mere $7,500 ... yikes!

Tash said...

Just to stop everyone from worrying, the shot was taken from the car - thru the sunroof. I was stopped at a red light. All the intersections have crosswalks and traffic lights - no worries, mates.

Julie: Yeah, I know, isn't that EXPENSIVE? Limited editions. If you find a copy in Australia for $200, grap it for me. I think Mr. V would ask for less, but not much less for his copy.

chalupczok said...

ładny kadr...

PJ said...

I started my 180 degree posts to work up my courage to go out at night and stand in the middle of intersections - when there's little or no traffic - and get each corner that way but I'm still too scared to. I'm looking forward to seeing this series, it'll "pump me up". Cool beans, Ckickie.

wv onlogyke

Janet M Kincaid said...

Yep, that's definitely an intersection. I like the stark vastness of this photo.