Sunday, November 30, 2008

Malaga Cove School


1926, Allison and Allison; Olmsted and Olmsted, landscape architects
North of Via Almar at Via Arroyo
"Mediterranean, with a tower that seems to be derived from late-15th or early-16th-century Spanish examples." from An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles by David Gebhard & Robert Winter (Entry #12 out of 25 for Palos Verdes, North).

Malaga Cove School, Palos Verdes Estates, 1926
(photographer unknown) - (Picture Courtesy of Palos Verdes Peninsula Library District)

My husband is a PV native & this was his middle school. The middle school closed in 1991 due to declining enrollement and the buildings housed different private schools and PV Historical Society. Currently, the oldest buildings are going through extensive $8.5M renovation. All the old gas, plumbing and electrical lines are being changed; an elevator and ramps are being added, and new windows are being installed. The newer building in the foreground is being used for Special Ed classes.

12 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

It's beautiful. How lucky to get that as your middle school!

Virginia said...

Gorgeous school. the BW reminds me of Italy somehow.
V

Petrea Burchard said...

What a terrific post. I love seeing the old and new photos. Amazing, all that open space around the school in 1926. And I'm glad to read that the building's being renovated for continued use.

Z said...

Pretty school buildings. The renovations sound great: will more school-type activity be taking place in them?

Anonymous said...

I love the colours in the top photo. And I agree, I thought the B&W picture looked like Italy too.

Unknown said...

Definitely the tower design seems to have followed the spanish/moorish style. It's beautiful.

Floyd B. Bariscale said...

Thanks for this post, Tash. I definitely have to see this in person.

Anonymous said...

Oh....DUH! I forget the City Daily Photo challenge!! BUMMER!

Your post is great though:) Love your night time image and your bird of paradise below. The way the sun is lighting the petals is just lovely.

PJ said...

Tash, your husband must have some wonderful memories of this school, it's really stunning.

Rodney Dolorin said...

Very Nice! I may have to visit this school one day.

Laura said...

I graduated from this school in 73. It was a very special place to go to school...safe, fun, and great teachers. When the sun was out it was time to hit the beach...school could wait. :)

Hal Chappell said...

I Graduated from there in 1974. I can remember how nice the weather was and the ceremony being in the courtyard.