Monday, June 22, 2009

Golden Lotus - no more


Demolition has started at the Golden Cove Shopping Center to make way for the new Trader Joe's. (Yes, Altadena Hiker is right - there will be all of 6 parking spaces for the TJ's, no different from other locations.) The americanized Golden Lotus Chinese restaurant was last owned by a Russian, Slava Jimov, but has been closed for more than a year now. On the weekends they had a wonderful entertainer, Clem, who sang and played the old-time favorites on the piano.

8 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a pity! This place seemed very cool!
Hey, and about your photography lessons?I bet it was fabulous!
Have a nice week dear Tash!
God bless you
Léia

purrs and love
Luna(from Brazil)

Lois said...

I'm always sad to see an old place like this demolished. Their sign is beautiful.

Powell River Books said...

Progress?

Clueless in Boston said...

I've never really seen the attraction of Trader Joes myself.

RogerB said...

Good Russian made American-Chinese food is so hard to find! Pity.

Hilda said...

An Americanized Chinese restaurant owned by a Russian — I like that. Must have been interesting when it was still open. I have no idea what Trader Joe's is, but I hope it fares better than the Golden Lotus!

VP said...

I just read Hilda's comment and was wondering if the chef was Italian or French...

Tash said...

The cooks were probably Mexican.