Tuesday, January 24, 2012

To Infinity (in Art) and Beyond in "Pacific Standard Time"

As promised, here are bits of the exhibit "Everyman's Infinte Art" at Chapman Collage by Harold Gregor, a repeat of the installation in 1966. In 1966, no one saw the art since the campus was closed for winter break. But the instructions and materials list (which appeals to the engineer in me) were available, so that EVERYMAN can recreate it at ANYTIME at ANYPLACE and the possibilities to arrange ensembles that "suggest an infinite continuum" are INFINITE.
I agree that this isn't EVERYMAN's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed the stacked stryrofoam cups, the line of overlapping black sheets of construction paper... and my absolute favorite: the shinny rings of joined vent pipe elbows.

5 comments:

Pasadena Adjacent said...

very smart piece when you consider the time it was created - that it was done when no one was there to witness it. Unlike the tree falling in the forest. I guess you didn't have to be there. Does that make any sense?

Jack said...

You ARE an engineer to appreciate (and identify) these things.

Jack said...

And, I should have said, that this is "conceptual art" like the art of Sol Lewitt, which we have discussed recently. It is the idea that counts. Just leave instructions for technicians to follow.

Anonymous said...

Ok, well maybe this reminds me somewhat of when I was a kid, and everyone had those plush bathrooms with white furry carpet on the floor and toilet lids. And the way, if you pitched the bathroom mirrors just right, you could see your own face, 10, 50, 100 times, until you seemed to fade out somewhere in infinity.

Linda said...

As a languages graduate this is a difficult concept for me...