Sunday, January 2, 2011

Long Beach Gothic

Ocean Boulevard with a bit of Long Beach skyline, looking north-east, on a rainy Sunday.
Photo effect is Antique Solarization.
Regarding the building: "The Villa Riviera is an icon of the Long Beach skyline. Based loosely upon the style of 16-century French chateaux, the design combines elements from the Gothic and Renaissance periods. At 15 stories, the Villa Riviera was for many years one of the Southland's tallest buildings, second only to Los Angeles City Hall. It is prominently sited at the jucnture of two major streets, Alamitos Avenue and Ocean Blvd." Date built: 1929; Architect: Richard D. King (Ref. Long Beach Architecture: The Unexpected Metropolis by Cara Mullio & Jennifer M. Volland)

7 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Adorable boulevard, and so beautiful palm trees!
Fantastic postcard!
Léia

brattcat said...

love the feel of this.

Mersad said...

Great effect!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I had a girlfriend/co-worker who lived in that building. I attended a birthday party for her 13 year old child. She was 27 at the time. Lets just say she was a run-away bride from a middle eastern country who at this moment is at the ready, to stone a woman under a coerced confession.

btw: I like the polarized effect. Photoshop? now I know what the effect is used for.

Wanda said...

Tash, that is really a cool, cool shot. I just keep gazing at it.

Thanks for your sweet comment on my Banner painting.. "The Girl in the White Dress" She is one of my favorites, and hangs above my bed in my bedroom.

Love and Hugs
W~

PS Will you have time to join us in this Art Challenge?

jennyfreckles said...

I like the effect you've used on this - it suits the photo.

TheChieftess said...

Perfect shot for the antique effect!!! It looks like like a photo of old Long Beach...except for the road signs and street lamp!!! Love the effect on the palm trees...what processing program did you use to get the effect???