Saturday, August 29, 2009

Burnt Hillside above Portuguese Bend


People came to look at the burned area of Forrestal Nature Preserve this afternoon from Del Cerro Park. Last April, I posted this photo from Eagle's Nest which is in the middle of the burned area in the second photo.
"In 'Los Angeles Against the Mountains,' a 1988 installment in the New Yorker series “The Control of Nature,” which was later published as a book, John McPhee described how Southern California’s dry chaparral produces devastating fires." New Yorker-Archive 1988/09/26. Knowing that the fires are part of the natural process does not make them any less frightening.

8 comments:

Linda said...

The thing that struck me about this shot more than the power of the fire was the stance of the people. Look how close together the couples and little group are standing - it's as if they're drawing comfort from each other in the face of the devastation.

I had a look at the map of the fire in the LA Times, and have been thinking with concern about the lovely families we met when we did a house exchange with a family from La Canada a few years ago.

VP said...

Impressive images, reading McPhee I understand your uneasiness.

Lowell said...

The news tonight is not good...I wondered if the stories were about the fires in your area...

Lois said...

I had the same thoughts about these pictures as Linda! I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

Tina Epperson Freelance Photography said...

We drove down to Portuguese Bend Thursday night during the fire to photograph it. It's amazing how something can be both devastating and beautiful at the same time. I'm just greatful that no homes or lives were lost!

Susie said...

Oh how I miss this beautiful spot in the world - what a wonderful view. I agree the fires were frightening frightening for me while living there.

Cezar and Léia said...

this place is magnificent and people are enjoying this beautiful view!
Great pictures!
Léia

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd been here but maybe not. Thanks for the NYer link. I'm going to read it.

This is the worst summer ever